UEA 2013 Legislative Platform & Priorities
(Each year, the UEA House of Delegates approves the UEA Legislative Platform, Support Positions and Priorities.)The UEA believes public schools provide the foundation for a civil and just society and the opportunity for every student to maximize his/her potential and talents for future success and positive participation in the community. From our viewpoint as education professionals, the UEA Legislative Platform and Priorities outline the policies and the investment necessary to provide this foundation to democracy.
The UEA legislative platform is a comprehensive program to enhance the integrity of the education profession and to provide the tools, resources and services needed to improve student achievement.
The UEA platform and priorities reflect an agenda of positive change in education. The UEA 2013 Legislative Priorities are:
Legislation that significantly increases the investment in public schools to provide for:
- Salaries, benefits and programs to attract and retain quality teachers.
- Modern tools, technology and resources to do our jobs.
- Smaller class sizes to better meet the needs of every child.
The UEA believes ANY legislation must meet the following criteria:
- Protect the rights of employees;
- Provide for local autonomy in the distribution of resources and in the development of policy;
- Recognize the importance of the professional judgment and voice of educators in creating education policy and programs; and
- Provide the sustainable and adequate revenue streams necessary to provide a great public school for every child in Utah.