NEA Foundation Funding Opportunity for NEA Members
The NEA Foundation announced a new partnership to help educators faced with shrinking classroom budgets enlist public support to acquire the tools to engage and inspire students.
The Foundation will match donations to NEA members received on DonorsChoose.org, the online charity where teachers post classroom project requests and citizen philanthropists browse and support projects that appeal to them. To date the site has raised more than $88 million, helping more than five million students.
NEA members can post requests for up to $500 for classroom supplies on the DonorsChoose.org website, where supporters of public education can browse requests and make donations. When a donation is received, the NEA Foundation will match it, up to $250 per request.
The Priority Schools Campaign is promoting this effort to NEA members, especially members working in priority schools. Here are some simple instructions for participating:
- Post one project request for up to $500 for classroom supplies.
- Within two weeks, your project will be added to the NEA Foundation's match offer — making it appear as half-funded and incentivizing donors to support your classroom.
- Supporters of public education browse your request and make donations.
- The NEA Foundation matches the money raised, up to $250 per request, for the first 400 projects.
- Funding is only applied to projects if citizens (donors) fund the other 50 percent of your project's cost.
The NEA Foundation funds and supports education solutions that help students succeed. The Foundation has discovered that the best teaching ideas come from educators. This funding opportunity can bring those ideas to life.
(1) If you are an NEA Member but new to DonorsChoose.org, you will need to register on DonorsChoose.org. You must select "NEA" under "Teacher Affiliations" during the registration process or your project will not receive the 50 percent offer! Register here. Also, keep in mind your project must cost less than a total of $500 to be eligible.
(2) If you are an NEA Member and already registered as a teacher on DonorsChoose.org, login to your account and post a project today. To receive the 50 percent offer on your project, you must select "NEA" under "Update Affiliations" in your teacher account under "My School Info & Affiliations." Log in here. Also, keep in mind your project must cost less than a total of $500 to be eligible.
(3) Not an NEA member, but want to help public educators? Great! Please visit our projectpage, browse our educators' classroom needs, and make a donation.
Questions? Find answers here.
(1) Keep project costs low. Lower-cost projects have a greater chance of being funded.
(2) Take advantage of your teacher page. Direct friends and family to your teacher page, to give in support of your project (you can find the link by logging into your DonorsChoose.org teacher account).
(3) Spread the news about your project to your networks. To do this, log into your DonorsChoose.org teacher account and click the Facebook icon. DonorsChoose.org is an online charity that connects public school teachers in need of classroom materials and other learning needs to corporations, foundations, and everyday people who can help them. Learn more here. Also, feel free to view this tutorial about becoming a DonorsChoose.org teacher and posting projects on DonorsChoose.org.